Monday, June 23, 2008

Opinion Polls A Postive Opportunity For Learning

In Lauren R. Hughley’s recent commentary in her “Common 2 Cents Blog” on Poll Pressure she makes some valid points on the duty of the news. She states “the duty of the news, whether through the television, radio, or paper is to inform the people about important issues and not influence them in their decision making and opinion forming.” I agree, in a perfect world the news would come to us unbiased for assimilation and to base future decisions upon. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the American Press is free to cover politics in any way it chooses. I say unfortunately due to the amount of mud slinging that is allowed to go on instead of pure news coverage. On the other hand, what is the consequence of removing the freedom of the press? Is it worth it? Shouldn’t American citizens take on the personal responsibility of a little homework?

There are so many avenues to receive the news anymore. One can read the paper, watch the television, go online, have it sent to a cell phone, the opportunities are endless. The best method I can come up with is to follow a story through several different sources and watch the outcome and see which sources “truth” most closely matches my own. I, as do others, just need to be careful to get the whole story and not just a fragment of the truth.

As to Ms. Hughley’s opinion on poll reports, I have to disagree. She states “the American people can be both irrational and easily influenced.” With that statement, I wholeheartedly agree. I think that could be said of people in general. I know I myself try to look at different issues from different perspectives before forming a hard and fast opinion of my own. Still, as my knowledge grows, I might change my mind several times on just one issue.

I believe in the right to learn and grow and be challenged. For with challenge comes personal growth. It is not always pretty, but it is worth it. When we take the stance that information should not be given because a certain sector of the population might be swayed by that information to make irrational choices, we take something very dear from society in general. We cannot dumb down information to the weakest intellectuals in society. Rather they must be challenged to form their own reasoned opinions based on more than just someone else’s opinion.

Polls can be valuable tools for many different reasons. For one, they can help motivate the public in general to take a closer look at why others feel differently than they do on specific issues. If I were to feel one way about an issue and I found out that a large percentage of others were diametrically opposed to my opinion, I would want to do some more research to find out if I had possibly misunderstood something that I might have thought was super clear to me. That most likely end in one of two possible results. Either I would reform my opinion on an issue I thought I understood, but clearly didn’t, or I would strengthen my already set opinion. Either way, I have taken the time to add to my own personal knowledge. Another value to polls is for the candidates themselves. A poll gives them the same chances it gives any other individual. For example if an opinion poll tells a candidate that the public is really not happy with his stand on a certain issue, he too has choices. The candidate could do some more research and make sure the stand he is perceived as taking is the one he really wants to show. That candidate then has the opportunity to stand firm and try to educate the public as to why that stand is important to all, or he could back down and decide that is just not something worth tackling at the moment or even make a stronger stand on another issue or related issue to give a wider perspective to the American public as to who they really are as a political candidate.

In the end, polls represent knowledge. Knowledge is power when used effectively. People don’t have to be swayed by other’s opinions. They do; however, have a right to all the information they can handle when trying to make informed opinions. It is up to the individual as to how much they want to pay attention to opinion polls and then what do with that information. I personally have never been swayed from my opinion on who I want to vote for because others around me had a different opinion. As previously stated, at most, I was merely prompted to do some more research and become better informed. I personally am glad for the barometer that opinion polls offer me on the political outlook of my fellow American citizens.

No comments: